So after dreaming so long of training professionally…well what do you know, it happened!
Last Saturday, I completed my first training. I did an afternoon and evening team building workshop with Pam. We did a few high energy activities and then ended off the evening MCing their Gala dinner.
And I discovered and learned a few things:
- I’m not so inspirational when I’m super nervous, but I am still funny thank goodness. I am sure once I get used to the training environment that I will calm down a bit more and start opening up.
- The Audience – it was made up of both young and old and of all races. They were mostly from a teaching background, and I would say…your typical Singaporean. Pam said they were very Kinesthetic people as they rather do hands on activities and present feedback in a activing presentation; very practical crowd, less intellectual.
- Flexibility – because of the audience we had to do more games and less talking to keep them happy
- Presence – the question I need to answer is “How to build unshakable presence with my audience?” Presence makes people listen to you and talk your talk seriously. I need to learn how to build that.
- Training is really really draining! Well at least for me, everything is so new, that it zaps a lot of mental and physical energy.
Things I thought I did well – Made them laugh, made them listen to me for the most part, speak to a large group of professional teachers (all who are older than me), make them laugh in an MC setting.
Things I can improve on – making snappy jokes, presence, hand gestures, engaging audience better, confidence and flexibility to change to audience’s needs.
So it’s the start. 2008 will be quite a ride!
I will never forget this moment…